The Kentucky Derby
Here is the 2019 Kentucky Derby Lineup
Here is the 2019 Kentucky Derby Lineup
Saturday March 9th, brings an action packed day of racing with major Kentucky Derby implications. Unfortunately the San Felipe Stakes at Santa Anita Park has been cancelled as racing there has been put on hold due to unsafe track conditions. There are still three important qualifiers.
The Gotham Stakes is a one-mile race for three-year-olds that takes place at Aqueduct Racktrack and Casino in New York. The race normally runs in early March, and will be on Saturday March 9th this year. The top four finishers will earn qualifying points toward a spot in the vaunted Kentucky Derby in May.
In the past the winner of the Gotham Stakes has been a shoo-in for a spot in the Kentucky Derby due to the qualifying points on the line with 50 points to 1st place, 20 points to 2nd place, 10 points to 3rd place and 4 points to 4th place. California native Insragrand travels to New York as the presumptive favorite, although this year’s strong field is filled with some excellent speed.
Here is the field:
1. Family Biz Trainer: E. Barker Jockey: K. Carmouche
2. Knicks Go Trainer: B. Colebrook Jockey: J. Lezcano
3. Mind Control Trainer: G. Sacco Jockey: J. Velazquez
4. Much Better Trainer: B. Baffert Jockey: M. Smith
5. Haikal Trainer: K. McLaughlin Jockey: R. Maragh
6. Instagrand Trainer: J. Hollendorfer Jockey: J. Castellano
7. Not That Brady Trainer: R. Rodriguez Jockey: R. Gutierrez
8. Tikhvin Flew Trainer: S. Asmussen Jockey: D. Davis
The Tampa Bay Derby started in 1981, and is one of the more important qualifying races for the Kentucky Derby. It has a prize purse of $400,000 for the 2019 edition. It takes place on March 9th at Tampa Bay Downs.
World renowned trainer Todd Pletcher has five wins in this race, the most of any trainer.
In addition some of best horses will be racing, perhaps the future Kentucky Derby winner. Look for Well Defined to duel with the aptly named Win Win Win. Two special horses to keep an eye on.
The Tampa Bay Derby runs on March 9th, 2019.
Here is the field:
1. Admire Jockey: R. Albarado Trainer: D. Romans
2. Sir Winston Jockey: J. Leparoux Trainer: M. Casse
3. Lord Dragon Jockey: J. Bracho Trainer: J. Blair
4. Dream Maker Jockey: F. Geroux Trainer: M. CasseL
5. Well Defined Jockey: P. Morales Trainer: K. O’Connell
6. Outshine Jockey: J. Rosario Trainer: T. Pletcher
7. Win Win Win Jockey: I. Ortiz, Jr. Trainer: M. Trombetta
8. The Right Path: Jockey: J. Bravo Trainer: J. Duarte, Jr.
9. Dunph Jockey: D. Centeno Trainer: M. Maker
10. Tacitus Jockey: J. Ortiz Trainer: W. Mott
11. Zenden Jockey: S. Camacho Trainer: V. Barboza, Jr.
Kentucky Derby qualifying points are also up for grabs at the Jeff Ruby Steaks, held at Turfway Park.
Somelikeithotbrown is the star of the field, but should face an a tough challenge with the talen in the field including top contender Skywire,.
Here is the field:
1. Dynamic Racer Jockey: E. Prentice, Jr. Trainer: R. Kahles
2. Moonster Jockey: J. McKee Trainer: D. Romans
3. Five Star General Jockey: Jockey: D. Cannon Trainer: A. Delacour
4. Dabo Jockey: L. Machado Trainer: D. Romans
5. Baytown Jimbo Jockey: A. Achard Trainer: P. McEnteeL
6. Skywire Jockey: G. Boulanger Trainer: M. Casse
7. Counter Offer Jockey: M. Franklin Trainer: I. Wilkes
8. Twelfthofneverland Jockey: S. Russell Trainer: R. HandalL
9. Curlin Grey Jockey: B. Hernandez, Jr. Trainer: K. McPeek
10. Somelikeithotbrown Jockey: T. Gaffalione Trainer: M. Maker
11. Speed App Jockey: W. De La Cruz Trainer: D. Lukas
If you’re one of the many fans of America’s premier horse race, the Kentucky Derby, chances are you’d also like to place a bet. But you may not have the time or money to travel to Churchill Downs to place one. Not a problem—just like watching the Kentucky Derby from your own couch, you can also bet from home.
This year’s Run For The Roses ® will be held on May 4, 2019. If you’re new to betting on the Kentucky Derby, this primer will help you get started so you can bet on the 145th Derby like a pro. Once you’ve made your selections and placed your bets, you’ll have plenty of time to make a mint julep and dust off your big hat.
While it’s easy to place a bet, there are a number of types of betting you’ll need to be familiar with:
Win-Place-Show is a combination of three basic types of bets.
Each of these bets is a minimum $2 wager.
Exacta and Box wagers have a higher payout than Win-Place-Show, but also have a higher degree of difficulty. You’ll select two horses to win first and second, in order, in order to win the bet. An Exacta Box (or “boxing” your wager) means you pick two horses to win first and second in any order to win a payout. Because you don’t bet on the order, there is a higher chance of a win.
The minimum bet on these wagers is $2.
Trifecta wagers are similar to Exacta wagers, but are more difficult and have higher payouts. You’ll select three horses to finish first, second and third, in order. You can also “box” your bet, and pick three horses in any order to finish first, second and third. Sometimes this is bet called is called a “Quinella.” Like the Exacta Box, Trifecta Box wagers also have a higher chance of winning.
Trifecta wagers start at fifty cents, with trifecta box wages a minimum of $3.
Kentucky Derby totals have reached as much as $200 million, but you don’t have to wait until May to place your bets. Future Wagers allow you to place bets earlier in the season, on possible contenders that have a strong potential for earning a place at the Derby’s starting gate. These bets also tend to have higher payouts than the actual race day. Future wagers are offered four times a year, at both betting tracks and online betting sites.
You can watch videos on different types of betting on the Kentucky Derby website.
Now that you know the basics, who are you going to bet on?
You can find a complete list of the current contenders here. However, the Kentucky Derby asked six experts to pick their favorites for the race. These experts have offered their picks for both the Derby and The Oaks, but horses that show up on multiple lists include (in no particular order):
These are just some of the many expert picks for the Kentucky Derby. While there are other horses that are eligible, you’ll need to do some research to find out which horse is the best one for you to place a bet.
Once you’ve decided who to bet on, t’s time to place your bets.
Online betting has opened up the world of wagering to nearly anyone who wants to bet, anytime, anywhere, and the Kentucky Derby is no different. While there are a number of online betting vendors to choose from, online betting site for the Kentucky Derby is Derby Jackpot, who also livestreams the Derby online.
Twinspires is a US-based, licensed and legal betting service that is an exclusive partner with the Kentucky Derby. You can bet from your laptop, smartphone app or by phone, anytime. Your registration and transactions are secure using Symantec’s Norton Security. Registration is easy, and once you fund your account, you’re ready to place a wager.
This year’s Run For The Roses ® promises to be as exciting as ever. Place your bets, put on your finest outfit, have a seat in your living room, and get ready to enjoy the most exciting two minutes in sports.
Well Defined is trained by Kathleen O’Connell, and comes from Stonehedge Farms. He is coming off an impressive win at the Sam F. Davis Stakes at Tampa Bay Downs, and will likely take to the dirt next for the Tampa Bay Derby on March 9th, 2019.
Tax is trained by Danny Gargan, and is bred by Claiborne Farm. His next probable big race is the Wood Memorial Stakes at Aqueduct Racetrack and Casino in New York. It will run on April 2, 2019.